Bookkeeping involves the recording, storing and retrieving of financial transactions for a company, nonprofit organization, individual, etc.
Common financial transactions and tasks that are involved in bookkeeping include:
- Billing for goods sold or services provided to clients.
- Recording receipts from customers.
- Verifying and recording invoices from suppliers.
- Paying suppliers.
- Processing employees' pay and the related governmental reports.
- Monitoring individual accounts receivable.
- Recording depreciation and other adjusting entries.
- Providing financial reports.
Today bookkeeping is done with the use of computer software. For example, QuickBooks (from Intuit) is a low-cost bookkeeping and accounting software package that is widely used by small businesses in the U.S.
Bookkeeping requires knowledge of debits and credits and a basic understanding of financial accounting, which includes the balance sheet and income statement.
If you want a complimentary review of your income statement or balance sheet, give us a call at (888)266-0962.